Brookhaven National Laboratory
Project: Waste Management Services at a National Laboratory
SIN: 899-4, Waste Management Services
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), a research laboratory overseen by the Department of Energy’s Office of Science (DOE), was interested in operational support services for its Environmental Management Directorate (EMD), Environmental and Waste Management Services Division (EWMSD), and Safety and Health Services Division (SHSD).
BNL engaged PW Grosser to assist with environmental issues that fell squarely within the scope of SIN 899-4. Our personnel provided continuous Project Management and Field Engineering support to the EMD throughout the CERCLA cleanup, and to the EWMSD and SHSD to maintain DOE, EPA, OSHA and RCRA compliance, as well as state and local regulatory compliance.
Specific tasks included:
- RCRA/CERCLA Site Investigation
- Data Collection and Evaluation
- Waste Management Plan Preparation and Execution
- Waste Characterization
- Waste Management, Packaging, Storage and Disposal
- Compliance Assessment, Tracking and Reporting
- Procedure Preparation
- Health and Safety Oversight
- Category: [Waste Management]
- We provided management and field support during several RCRA/CERCLA Site Investigation,s including the Former Hazardous Waste Management Facility Decontamination and Demolition, and the Chemical/Animal Pits and Glass Holes Projects. Specifically, We prepared and executed work plans, technical work documents, health and safety plans, and waste management plans (including generation, minimization, handling, storage and disposal). For these projects We also performed the project planning and coordination, oversight of subcontractors, groundwater and soil sample collection/data evaluation, and management of non-hazardous, hazardous, radioactive, and mixed wastes.
- PWGC was also responsible for the management of a laboratory remediation project at the Environmental Measurements Laboratory (EML), and assisting in the implementation of CERCLA/RCRA regulations relative to waste generation, storage, maintenance and disposal. We also provided technical support for the update of the BNL waste tracking system, waste forecasting and cost estimating, waste storage area inventory, inspection and maintenance, procurement of waste containers and resources, preparation of waste characterization plans, reports, profiles and permitting. We identified and evaluated various treatment and disposal options for several waste streams generated, and prepared the characterization reports, and waste profiles; and oversaw the loading and transportation (which was performed by another firm that had its own direct contract with the client).
- We prepared Engineering Change Notices, reviewed and negotiated contracts, prepared schedule and cost estimates, performed RCRA/CERCLA inspections, and participated in Tier 1 safety inspections. We provided support for the development of BNL’s Subject Based Management System (SBMS), including the review and revision of Management Systems and Program Descriptions, and the development of Subject Areas and department-specific operating and safety procedures. We prepared and participated in assessments, including the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System and the OHSAS 18001 Occupational Safety and Health registration audits. We also tracked and reported corrective actions, managed safety and health requirements, and supported the planning and implementation of new safety and health regulations, including 10 CFR 851.