Meschutt Beach Wastewater Upgrade
PWGC was selected to provide professional engineering services to design an innovative on-site wastewater treatment system to replace the outdated sewage disposal systems at the park. PWGC was honored with a Diamond Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies of New York (ACEC-NY)—the organization’s highest honor—for this project, the region’s first commercial innovative alternative on-site wastewater treatment system (I/A OWTS).
As part of the project, the possibly of greywater reuse was evaluated; unfortunately, due to space and cost constraints, a greywater system could not be included. We designed and installed a new I/A OWTS to replace the outdated and underperforming wastewater treatment system at the waterfront park. This project presented several challenges; in addition to being the first commercial application of I/A OWTS technology in Suffolk County, the project was constrained by a six-month completion window and being located in an area with a high water table.
We met with representatives from Suffolk County’s Parks, Public Works and Health Services Departments to determine the best location for the proposed system; developed an in-depth engineering report, design plans and specifications for a County-approved I/A OWTS (in this instance using a system manufactured by Orenco), and developed an aggressive project schedule to be ready for the targeted opening of the park on Memorial Day Weekend 2016.
PWGC performed the following services:
- Performed a field investigation to evaluate the existing conditions.
- Prepared an engineering report and design plans for the wastewater treatment system for SCDHS submission.
- Addressed SCDHS comments and revise the drawings as required to obtain an approved treatment system.
- Prepared applications for letters of non-jurisdiction from NYSDEC.
- Prepared technical specifications and budget estimates for the project.
- Obtained sediment samples from the existing sewage disposal structures for analysis for abandonment in accordance with SCDHS regulations.
- Prepared design documents to be disseminated to contractors.
- Prepared proposal pages and a scope of work for obtaining contractor pricing.
- Answered contractor questions and issued addendums.
- Attended bid opening.
- Answered contractor questions.
- Reviewed shop drawing submittals.
- Perform construction inspections
- Prepare as-built plans and engineering certifications.